Just want the highlights? Check out ConDev’s ‘Greatest Hits’!
Mission and History
The Center on Conflict and Development at Texas A&M University seeks to improve the effectiveness of development programs and policies for conflict-affected and fragile countries through multidisciplinary research and education. The Center uses science and technology to:
- reduce armed conflict,
- sustain families and communities during conflict, and
- assist states to rapidly recover from conflict.
In 2010, the Howard G. Buffett Foundation Chair on Conflict and Development was established at Texas A&M University to support teaching, research, and service for the advancement of the welfare of communities enduring conflict or emerging from conflict.
In November 2011, Texas A&M University was selected to be a member of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Higher Education Solutions Network: a Network of Development Labs designed to revolutionize development through science and innovation. HESN Development Labs research, incubate, test, and accelerate solutions in partnership with local universities, organizations, and communities to deliver the greatest impact.
Based upon an agreement with USAID and the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, and as an outcome of the 2013 Conflict and Development Strategy Workshop, ConDev’s research focuses largely on mitigating conflict related to four program areas, which were hand-picked based on their potential to combat key drivers of international conflict:
- Food Security. How to design interventions that build upon local coping strategies to incentivize food security and promote resilience?
- Natural Resource Management. How can natural resource management be used as a peace-building approach?
- Youth Employment. How to engage youth populations through workforce development linked to jobs?
- Local Institutions. How do legitimate local institutions redirect elite competition and promote cooperation dynamics?
- Fill Knowledge Gaps
- Integrate Gender and Vulnerable Populations
- Leverage Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
- Support Local-Led Solutions
Click here to access the biographical and contact information of our staff, researchers and students!
To learn more about ConDev’s network of partners and affiliates, click here.